Solar Instructor Series
The Southern Mid-Atlantic Provider of Solar Instructor Training (SMAPSIT) is a Train the Trainer program funded by the US Department of Energy and administered by the NC Solar Center at NC State University. Its mission is to establish an advanced training program for Local Education Institutions (LEI) to address a critical need for high-quality, local, and accessible training in solar electric system design, installation, sales, and inspection.
The Program encompasses five jurisdictions:
- District of Columbia
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
Recognizing the need for highly skilled and knowledgeable individuals to join the array of career paths in the solar workforce, the Solar Center is offering a variety of workshops and online tools to help K-12 teachers, community college instructors, college professors, and local inspectors incorporate solar fundamentals into the classroom.
Targeted teaching disciplines:
- Construction trades such as electrical and roofing
- Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math
- Economics, Policy, Finance, and Marketing
- Authorities Having Jurisdiction- inspectors, code officials
- Development of solar (PV) programs for either credit or non-credit courses
- Integration of solar topics into existing curricula
- An increase in the number of students in the classroom knowledgeable in solar topics
* We are required to collect measurable data on the types of classes and number of students taught by participants of our instructor series. A successful applicant must commit to providing us with this data in the form of several metrics instruments, developed by DOE.
Download and share the Solar Instructor Series Fact Sheet.
Workshops under the Solar Instructor Series
Click on the title to learn a little more about each workshop.
- REPV: Renewable Energy Generation with Photovoltaic Systems
- Online REPV:Renewable Energy Generation with Photovoltaic Systems
- Hands-on Photovoltaic Installation
- REPV (A)- Advanced Design and Installation of Photovoltaic Systems
- PV Training for Inspectors
- Certificate in Renewable Energy Management (CREM)
- Overview of Renewable Energy Technologies and Project Development
- Overview of Solar Policy and Financial Modeling (aka Solar Business Basics)
- Designing PV worksheets and activities: A workshop for STEM teachers and Technical Instructors
- Integrating Solar in Existing Curricula
- How to Land Your Green Energy Dream Job
To Apply to the Program:
FREE WORKSHOPS/ WEBINARS
REPV: Renewable Energy Generation with Photovoltaic Systems
September 16-20,2013 in Raleigh, NC
This week-long workshop, part of the Renewable Energy Technologies Diploma Series, covers solar fundamentals, load analysis, system siting, system components, types, and applications as well as best practices in installation, troubleshooting and maintenance of residential PV systems. Battery –based and grid-tied systems are explored. Successful applicants gain access to online tools to help develop and teach PV fundamentals.Instructors must take and pass the NABCEP Entry Level exam. Click here to learn more.
Online REPV:Renewable Energy Generation with Photovoltaic Systems
October 29- December 6 Tuesday and Thursday from 10AM- 12:30 PM
This 40 hour workshop, part of the Renewable Energy Technologies Diploma Series, covers solar fundamentals, load analysis, system siting, system components, types, and applications as well as best practices in installation, troubleshooting and maintenance of residential PV systems. Battery –based and grid-tied systems are explored. Successful applicants gain access to online tools to help develop and teach PV fundamentals. Instructors must take and pass the NABCEP Entry Level exam. Click here to learn more.
REPV(A) – Advanced Design and Installation of Photovoltaic Systems
June 2014 in Raleigh , NC
A continuing education workshop for instructors who want to go deeper into the design of PV systems, this 40-hour course examines details of PV electrical standards and codes. You must have taken an entry-level PV class to take this course. Click here to learn more.
- Solar Instructor Series Fee: $0- Apply HERE 2 weeks before course begins
- Public Price : $1299 reduced to $1099
Designing PV worksheets and activities: A workshop for Technical Instructors and STEM Teachers.
This one-day facilitator led collaborative workshop will guide teachers, especially in the science and math disciplines, to design worksheets and activities that introduce their students to photovoltaic concepts through basics of electricity principles.
Integrating Solar in Existing Curricula
This free webinar, presented by Andrew McMahan, North Carolina Director of the Energy CIP, will walk you through the process of how North Carolina is integrating alternative energy into curricula of existing degree programs.
How to Land Your Green Energy Dream Job
This free webinar and workshop will help you and your students understand where they might fit in this rapidly growing industry.
REDUCED FEE WORKSHOPS:
PV Training for Inspectors
June 13 Raleigh NC
This class is intended for AHJs – code officials and inspectors and instructors teaching inspectors and installers who need to familiarize themselves with code compliant photovoltaic systems. A PV Online Training (PVOT) course for inspectors is also available as a resource.
Certificate in Renewable Energy Management (CREM)
September 12- November 19, 2013
This unique 40-hour workshop caters to the non-technical side of renewables. It offers an overview of renewable energy technologies, policy and finance and helps the individual navigate the often complicated waters of renewable energy project development. This is a hybrid onsite and online class offered from mid-July to end of September 2012. Instructors need to be present for the first two days and last day of class. The rest of the sessions are offered or available online. This course is intended for those in a position of policy, finance or project development or those involved in teaching policy, finance or project development. Click here to learn more.
Overview of Renewable Energy Technology and Project Development
September 12 – 13
Part of the Certificate in Renewable Energy Management but offered as a stand-alone, This 14-hour course includes topics on how technologies work, market trends, siting projects, choosing the right technology and products for a project, and fundamentals of project development.
Overview of Solar Policy and Financial Modeling
October 10, 2013
Part of the Certificate in Renewable Energy Management but offered as a stand-alone, this 8 hour online/onsite class provides an overview of policies that create the renewable energy market as well as a comprehensive financial modeling tool that offers payback models on PV projects. Click here to learn more.
To Apply to the Program:
Complete the online application process and sign this agreement.
For more information, contact Lyra Rakusin at firstname.lastname@example.org or 919-513-7769 or Maria O’Farrell at email@example.com or 919.538.8287.